Welcome to my blog!



Welcome to my blog! For those of you who don’t know, starting in August I will be serving with MCC’s Serving and Learning Together (SALT) program in Zambia for one year. My job position will be an assistant project coordinator for peace clubs. Many have asked me what exactly this job entails... and to be honest I find this question hard to answer because the nature of peace work is so open ended. My job description tells me enough get a sense of what I will be doing without building up to many preconceived notions. This will definitely be a learning curve for me! But thats all part of the fun though, right? However, for those of you who ask, there is an article and a video that highlights peace clubs in Zambia, which gives a neat picture of what my job might look like. Check these out:


In a way this blog will kind of being like you stepping into my life and reading my private journal from front to back. That is so weird to me… I would never normally let someone do that! But here I am, letting you into my personal world. Give yourselves a pat on the back.

Reasons why I am starting this blog:
1)   I really do believe in the power of writing. My love for writing (especially about peace) is an important part of my life. It is my outlet, my therapy, and my way of feeling connected. I guess journaling started from my insomnia two years ago, and now it’s just a habit that I can’t shake. So there.
2)   This is the only way I know how to give back to the people who have whole-heartedly invested time into this process. From filling out reference letters, to listening to me rant about the decisions I had to make, to challenging those decisions, to asking me hard questions. They all helped me make a choice that I am happy about. You deserve to at least have the option of knowing what goes on in my life!
3)   If anything else, I need to write about this experience if I want to get a credit for my PACS field study (my current major at the University of Waterloo). So it’s decided then- welcome to my Zambia blog!

I will be posting regularly as I prepare for my trip and throughout the year. I'm sure you're wondering by now what the title of my blog is all about... keep checking back to find out!

Also, If you are interested in supporting me in this journey financially, check out:

You can also get in touch with me through email: rachel.krueger19@hotmail.com

Thank you!!

Comments

Popular Posts