6 weeks, 6 things.


I was riding in the backseat of the van on the way home from a wonderful combined birthday lunch for me and the other SALTer Tiffany. Our MCC rep turns and asks us, “so there’s 6 weeks left until you leave Zambia, what are 6 things you want to do before you leave?”, and this actually turned into a fun sort of game. And I have to say, it was also a little encouraging that we had a hard time coming up with things we still wanted to do, and that some of our answers were kinda lame. That means all the exciting adventurous things have already been done, right? Anyways, here is the list!

1)   Go to the elephant orphanage during feeding time
How did I live 9 months in Lusaka and NOT know that there was an elephant orphanage close by?! Apparently there’s a place that has little baby elephants and they let the public come visit at 11am everyday during feeding time. Yup, that’s happening



2)   Get my Chitenge suit made
Zambia is known for these wonderful fabrics called chitenges, and they are literally used for everything- wraps, table cloths, curtains, baby carriers, and chitenge suits, which are like a formal tailored top and skirt for formal occasions. I just bought my fabric a few weeks ago, but now I just need to go to the tailors to find the cut and style that I want! I gotta leave Zambia looking in style ;)



3)   Eat Crocodile meat
A few weeks ago the MCCers went to a crocodile farm (oh the things you find in Zambia…) and they had lots of croc meat for sale. I think I may have tried some before, but I want a real croc meat meal before I go, so Kathy promised to do a croc stirfry or something for our last meal. Hey, I’ve eaten so many strange things this year, might as well end it with some cool meat!

4)   Learn how to make nshima all on my own
Nshima is the staple food here which I eat everyday. I have had countless occasions where Zambians have asked me to help cook it, but its usuaaally just so that they can have a good laugh because I clearly do not know what im doing (in my defense, it takes a strong arm to stir it to get the right consistency!!). But I want to learn how to make nshima from start to finish, so that I can bring some mealie meal home with me and make it for my friends.



5)   Go to Maahak Indian restaurant
This ones a little lame, but there is an Indian restaurant that I pass everytime I go to the MCC guesthouse. Apparently its amazing, and ive made a “mental note” of going there almost everytime I pass by it. Ive eaten more “cultural dishes” than I ever did back at home, and when I was on vacation I was exposed to this wonderful thing called curry, and Indian food (yes, in Africa of all places). I need to go to Maahak and see how Zambian Indian food compares to Tanzanian Indian food!




6)   Have a Peace Festival
Last year, Peace Clubs had a “peace festival” where every Peace Club in Lusaka (there’s over 18) got together for a big party to showcase what they’ve been doing this year through songs, testimonies, debates, skits, ect. We’ve scheduled it to be for June 29th, but a lot of work and planning has to be done before hand if its going to happen! I think this would be an amazing finale to an amazing year of working with these schools.



So there’s my list. But then that got me thinking… what are 6 things that I want to do when I am HOME? Here we go…

1) Quality time with my friends and family
Well this one is obvious. I am excited beyond belief to just be in the presence of my friends and family. I have spent a year maintaining important relationships though emails, letters, and the occasional skype call. While I admit getting letters across continents is pretty magical, I can do without ever having to email Blaine long messages on my tiny phone keyboard and replace that with actual hangouts. I have some exciting plans lined up like a road trip with my mom to Montréal, but I am equally excited just to BE with the people I love.








2) Stay out past 10pm
Kind of sad… I know… but its true. I cant even remember the last time I stayed out past dark. Its partially because there is nothing to do past dark in Lusaka, partially because I live with a host family and partially because we have killer watch dogs if I come in after my family goes to sleep. Just one of the things I’ve given up this year, but I am ready to be a normal student again who has a social life!!!

3) Get CLEAN!
Ok, that makes it sound like I don’t bath here or anything (I do, promise). But some things about the environment where I live make the simplest things impossible to maintain. Like walking through dirt roads everyday in sandals during cold season?! My feet… are a mess. When I was in Zanzibar me and tiffany decided to splurge and get pedicures, and if its even possible, our feet actually got worse afterwards. The pedicure ladies are going to have there work cut out for them. As well, hand washing and wearing the same clothes for an entire year (and remember Zambia is pretty much always hot, so my clothes never get “seasonal breaks”)? My clothes are done. Who wants to go shopping for a new wardrobe with me?!

I cant believe my feet used to look like this once....



4)   Drive
I have spent a year, and a good portion of my day using the “mini bus” as my main mode of transportation to work. Its basically a small cramped van that would defy hundreds of laws back in Canada. I has been adventurous to say the least, but I am more than ready to not have to pray for my safty everytime I step into a vehicle ;) And to have the freedom to go where I want, when I want!


5)   Spend one night completely alone in my room,  guilt free
I know, I know, im an introvert at heart. I love my host family, I absolutely NEVER get the house to myself. On top of that, living in a collectivist culture makes it unacceptable to spend a lot of time in your room because they think im either sleeping, sick, or depressed. I miss my bed room. I spent so much time in the summer decorating it and adding in little touches to make it a relaxing and a place of comfort for me. I actually day dream about tucking into my big duvet covers, enveloped in all sorts of pillows, turn on my twinkly lights and candles and just spend the night with some popcorn and a good movie.




6)   Cook exciting dishes
Like I said before, I eat Nshima Every. Single. Day. Variety, flavor (oil does not count as a flavor!!) in dishes is something that I truly miss. I am excited to not only have control over my diet again, but get free reigns to experiment with good foods again.





Comments

Popular Posts